National Income tax

"Income tax" is a type of taxes, which is imposed setting income amount of each tax payer as a base of taxation. This is one of the most major taxes imposed on Individuals all over the world, including Japan. Japanese Income Tax shall be levied in case you and/or your earnings are regarded to be connected with Japan.

Click to Message Board

〔In Japanese〕

”所得税”は、その人の収入額を課税標準として課される税金のことを言います。個人に対する税金として、世界各国で最も主要なものの1つです。これは、日本でも同様です。 日本の所得税は、貴方、あるいは、その収入が日本と強い結びつきがある場合に、課税されます。

Residential Status / Scope of Taxation

If you would like to know about Japanese individual taxes, you have to check the classification of persons and reveues for the tax purpose, first.

(1) Classification of persons

People are treated in most of all aspects in Japanese taxation equally no matter what nationality the tax payer has, in principle. Instead, Individuals are classified into the following categories according to their residential status;

  1. Residents (KYOJYU SHA)
    1. Permanent Residents (EIJYU SHA)
    2. Non-Permanent Residents (HI EIJYU SHA)
  2. Non-Residents (HI KYOJYU SHA)


Q1. Distinguish between RESIDENTS and NON-RESIDENTS

In case you have a domicile in Japan and/or you have resided continuously in Japan for 1 year or longer, you are classified into the "RESIDENT". Otherwise, you are classified into the " NON-RESIDENT".

Provided you have a domicile in Japan, you are classified into the Residents just at the moment you get the domicile, without waiting for 1 year's passing. In case you are engaged in a job which generally needs you to stay in Japan for more than 1 year, you are assumed to be a Resident.

This rule is applied as follows to trainees of the Technical Intern Training for workers in developing countries. The initial term of the program is set shorter than 1 year. Therefore, trainees engaged in the initial term of the Technical Intern Training program are generally supposed not to fall into the Residents. But, in case the trainees proceed or plan to proceed to the further stage, they are expected to stay in Japan longer for 1 year and be categorizeid in the Residents.

Due to Covid-19 pandemic, many people are forced to go back to their home countries from the foreign countries they are dispatched for business. It raises various questions regarding this rule. In case they intend to merely evacuate temporarily and plan to get back to the working place soon after the situation recovers, they are not regarded to move their domicile for tax purpose. This recognition is according to the OECD guideline. However, as the infuluence of the covid-19 has been prolonged far longer than expected, some people are forced to stay in Japan longer than 1 year. As a result, they shall be classified to Residents in spite of themselves. In such cases, they are classified into Non-residents until the day just 1 year after the day they come back to Japan, and changed into Residents after the next day of therelevant day. Therefore, they have 2 different residential statuses for tax purpose in a year.


Provided you are a RESIDENT, in case you meet 1 or 2 of the requirements below, you are classified into the "PERMANENT RESIDENT". Otherwise, you are classified into the "NON-PERMANENT RESIDENT".

(2) Taxable Scope of Japanese Income tax

In accordance with your residential status I mentioned above, the taxable scope varies. This table shows the taxable scope for tax payers of the each category.

Taxable scope of Japanese Income tax
Incomes derived from sources in Japan Taxable Taxable Taxable,
in principle
Incomes derived from sources abroad Taxable Non Taxable,
unless they are paid in, or transferred into Japan
Non Taxable

Japanese Income tax is levied on taxable incomes brought up all over the world as for the Permanent Residents. In regard to this point, the National Tax Agency recently gained a powerful measure to grasp revenues tax payers got abroad. The Automatic Information Exchange by the Common Reporting Standards is this. The Common Reporting Standards has been implemented along with an agenda proposed by the OECD. The Tax Agencies of many major countries/areas has started to multilaterally exchange designated types of data about financial transactions made under their jurisdiction. While those information are not indispensable for the tax agency of the reporting countries/areaa, they cooperate mutually against internatinal tax frauds. Maybe, the Tax Agency know better about your foreign revenues than you think. Therefore, you have to be careful not to omit any revenues at the tax filing.

〔In Japanese〕


(1) 納税義務者の区分

日本における個人課税のあり方は、原則的には、その納税者の国籍によって変わるところはありません。 その代わり、日本における居住区分により、次の類型に区分されます。

  1. 居住者
    1. 永住者
    2. 非永住者
  2. 非居住者


Q1. 居住者と非居住者との区分

日本に住所(本拠)を置いているか、あるいは、引き続き1年以上、日本に居住している場合には、貴方は居住者に該当します。 そうでない場合には、非居住者に該当します。

日本の住所を有する場合には、1年の経過を待つことなく、その有することとなった日から居住者に該当します。 通常1年以上の滞在を要する仕事に就いている場合などは、居住者であるものと推定されます。技能実習制度により来日した実習生なども、居住者に区分されることがあります。 技能実習第1号の場合は、在留期間が1年未満とされていることから、第1号技能実習生は非居住者となることが多いでしょう。 しかし、実習生が第2号、第3号と進んだ場合や進むことを予定している場合には、日本での滞在期間が1年超となることが見込まれ、居住者に該当することとなります。

 新型コロナウイルス感染症の影響で、海外の勤務先から本国への退避を余儀なくされています。このことは、課税上の居住者/非居住者の区分について、いろいろな疑問を生じさせます。  単に一時的な退避とすることが予定されており、状況の改善があり次第、勤務地に戻ることとされている場合には、本国への退避をもって住所を移転したとはみなされません。  これはOECDのガイドラインに沿った取り扱いです。  ただし、コロナウイルス感染症の影響が想定外に長引く中、日本での滞在が1年以上の長期にわたるケースもでてきました。結果として、当事者の意図にかかわらず、課税上の日本居住者に該当することとなります。  この場合、帰国した日の1年後の応当日までは非居住者とされ、当該応当日の翌日から居住者とされることとなります。つまり、1の暦年中に非居住者とされる期間と居住者とされる期間が併存することとなるのです。 特定技能1号の資格で滞在する場合についても、居住者に該当することが多いはずです。多くの特定技能1号の該当者は、1年超の在留期間となっているためです。

Q2. 永住者と非永住者との区分

貴方が居住者であるとして、次の要件のうち、いずれか、あるいは、双方を満たす場合には、貴方は永住者に該当します。 いずれも満たさない場合には、非永住者に該当します。

(2) 課税の対象範囲


居住者区分 居住者 非居住者
永住者 非永住者
国内源泉所得 課税対象となる 課税対象となる 原則として、
国外源泉所得 課税対象となる 日本国内で支払われ、又は、

この表が示している通り、永住者については、日本の所得税は全世界すべての所得に課されます。 この点について、課税庁は近年、国外所得の把握のための強力な手段を手にすることになりました。 共通報告基準(CRS)に基づく自動的情報交換です。これは、OECDの提言に沿って導入されたものです。 多数の主要な国/地域の課税庁は、その管轄下で外国人によって行われた金融取引に係る指定された種類の情報について、 多国間での交換を行い始めました。それらの情報は、その提供元の国の課税庁自身にとっては必要なものではありませんが、国際的な脱税を防止するための協力として行っているわけです。 課税庁は、貴方が思うよりも多くを把握しているのかもしれないのであり、確定申告の際には、申告漏れを起こさないよう、注意しましょう。

Tax Treaty

The preceding paragraph is described simply based on the Japanese laws and Ordinances. But actually, we need to take Tax Treaties into consideration. Japan concludes Tax treaties with many countries. These treaties do not increase your Japanese tax burden except for very few cases. Particularly as to NON-RESIDENTs, the Japanese tax burden may decrease by the treaties.

Some tax treaties make a certain type of income gotten by a certain kind of people tax-free, notwithstanding the rules of Japanese income tax law. For example, those who are from China and stay in Japan solely for the purpose of study shall not be required to pay income tax on his/her earnings received for the purpose of his/her maintenance or education. It is due to article 21 of the tax treaty between Japan and China. University students from China, whose employment earnings amount is not larger than their living cost, are exempt from paying income tax. The tax treaty between Japan and Korea has a similar article under some additional requirements.

However, I am sorry that very few people know well about tax treaties, and I cannot deny even some of tax office's staff or CPTAs may not know them accurately. So even if you are eligible to a preferential treatement by a tax treaty, it is not easy for you to apply for the treatment. It is almost impossible to make necessary arrangement by yourself, unless you are very good at Japanese and with a lot of knowledge about international taxation. If you are interested in special measures provided in tax treaties, I recommend you to consult a CPTA familiar to international taxation. You have to focus on the particular measure you are interested in. Maybe you can put your questions on the Message board of this site.

〔In Japanese〕

前章の内容は、日本の所得税法に沿って記述されていますが、実際には、租税条約についても考慮に入れる必要があります。 日本は、多くの国と租税条約を結んでいます。租税条約は、ごくわずかな例外を除き、貴方の日本での税負担を増大させることはありません。特に、非居住者については、日本の税負担を圧縮させることにつながるものです。

租税条約には、日本の所得税法の規定にかかわらず、一定の人々が得た一定の所得を非課税としているものもあります。 たとえば、日中租税条約第21条により、中国から日本に修学のために来た人は、その生活費や勉強のために得た収入について所得税を課せられないこととしています。 つまり、中国からの留学生が給料を受け取った場合でも、生活費に充てる程度の金額であれば、所得税の納税義務がないこととされているのです。 日本と韓国との租税条約にも、いくつかの追加要件の下に、同様の規定がおかれています。

租税条約について良く知っている雇い主はほとんど居ません。さらにいえば、税務署の職員や税理士であっても、皆が租税条約について詳しいとは言えないのが実状です。 そのため、貴方が租税条約により納税義務を免除されていたとしても、実際にその適用をうけることは容易ではありません。 貴方が、よほど日本語が上手で、かつ税金に詳しい場合を別として、貴方がみずから手続きをすることは、ほとんど不可能であるといえましょう。 もし、貴方が租税条約の特典に興味があるのであれば、国際税務に詳しい税理士に、聞きたいポイントを絞って相談をすることをお勧めします。 よろしければ、このサイトのメッセージボードに質問をお寄せください。